Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Knowing Calvary LOVE...

IMG_2011

" And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. " 1 Cor. 13: 13

A few years back my sister sent me a magazine clipping with a few excerpts from Amy Carmichael's booklet entitled, "IF". I kept the clipping all these years and have recently been re-reading the words of wisdom found in the little booklet.  I think we all struggle with showing Calvary Love... in one way or another.

Sometimes our hearts turn ice cold, and we fail to live by the SPIRIT... we get hurt and keep grudges, or we get hurt and stop showing love, because we really don't want to be hurt again. But by Christ's love we can overcome... " for greater is He that is in you , than he that is in the world." 1 John 4:4

Thanks be to the Lord Jesus who showed us ultimate LOVE... death on Calvary... as a payment for our sins.

May we learn from our LORD, what true CALVARY LOVE means." Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart.." Matt 11:29

IF


If I have not compassion on my fellow servant even as my Lord had pity on me, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I belittle those whom I am called to serve, talk of their weak points in contrast perhaps with what I think of as my strong points;


If I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting “Who made thee to differ? And what has thou that thou hast not received?” then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I can easily discuss the shortcomings and the sins of any; if I can speak in a casual way even of a child’s misdoings, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I find myself half carelessly taking lapses for granted, “Oh, that’s what they always do,” “Oh, of course she talks like that, he acts like that,” then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I enjoy a joke at the expense of another; if I can in any way slight another in conversation, or even in thought, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I can write an unkind letter, speak an unkind word, think an unkind thought without grief and shame, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I do not feel far more for the grieved Saviour than for my worried self when troublesome things occur, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I can rebuke without a pang, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If, in dealing with one who does not respond, I weary of the strain, and slip from under the burden, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I am perturbed by the reproach and misunderstanding that may follow action taken for the good of souls for whom I must give account; if I cannot commit the matter and go on in peace and in silence, remembering Gethsemane and the Cross, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I say, “Just what I expected,” if a fall occurs, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I do not look with eyes of hope on all in whom there is even a faint beginning, as our Lord did, when, just after His disciples had wrangled about which of them should be accounted the greatest, He softened His rebuke with those heart melting words, “YE ARE THEY WHICH HAVE CONTINUED WITH ME IN MY TEMPTATIONS,” then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I cast up a confessed, repented, and forsaken sin against another, and allow my remembrance of that sin to color my thinking and feed my suspicions, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I have not the patience of my Saviour with souls who grow slowly; if I know little of travail (a sharp and painful thing) till Christ be fully formed in them, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I am afraid to speak the truth, lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, “You do not understand,” or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other’s highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


 If I myself dominate myself, if my thoughts revolve round myself; if I am so occupied with myself I rarely have “a heart at leisure from itself,” then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I cannot in honest happiness take the second place (or the twentieth); if I cannot take the first without making a fuss about my unworthiness, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word, then I know nothing of Calvary love.* *For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water however suddenly jolted.


If I feel injured when another lays to my charge things that I know not, forgetting that my Sinless Saviour trod this path to the end, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I feel bitterly towards those who condemn me, as it seems to me, unjustly, forgetting that if they knew me as I know myself they would condemn me much more, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I say, “Yes, I forgive, but I cannot forget,” as though the God who twice day washes all the sands on all the shores of all the world, could not wash such memories from my mind, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If monotony tries me, and I cannot stand drudgery; if stupid people fret me and little ruffles set me on edge; if I make much of the trifles of life, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I am inconsiderate about the comfort of others, or their feelings, or even of their little weaknesses; if I am careless about their little hurts and miss opportunities to smooth their way; if I make the sweet running of household wheels more difficult to accomplish, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If interruptions annoy me, and private cares make me impatient; if I shadow the souls about me because I myself am shadowed, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If souls can suffer alongside, and I hardly know it, because the spirit of discernment is not in me, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If there be any reserve in my giving to Him who so loved that He gave His Dearest for me; if there be a secret “but” in my prayer, “anything but that, Lord,” then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I become entangled in any “inordinate affection”; if things or places or people hold me back from obedience to my Lord, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I slip into the place that can be filled by Christ alone, making myself the first necessity to a soul instead of leading it to fasten upon Him, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I ask to be delivered from trial rather than for deliverance out of it, to the praise of His glory; if I forget that the way of the Cross leads to the Cross and not to a bank of flowers; if I regulate my life on these lines, or even unconsciously my thinking, so that I am surprised when the way is rough, and think it strange, though the word is, “THINK IT NOT STRANGE,” “COUNT IT ALL JOY,” then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If the ultimate, the hardest, cannot be asked of me; if my fellows hesitate to ask it and turn to someone else, then I know nothing of Calvary love. If I covet any place on earth but the dust at the foot of the Cross, then I know nothing of Calvary love. THAT WHICH I KNOW NOT, TEACH THOU ME, O LORD, MY GOD. 


Excerpts from IF by Amy Carmichael~


May you be encouraged today to follow in the footsteps of our LORD and SAVIOUR... showing calvary love to others.

~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment