Friday, April 25, 2014

TURN AWAY mine eyes FROM beholding VANITY...

IMG_0091


" TEACH me O Lord the way of THY statues... Give me UNDERSTANDING, and I shall keep THY law... Make me to go in the path of THY commandments... Incline my HEART unto THY testimonies, and not to covetousness... STABLISH THY WORD unto thy servant." PS. 119: 33-38.


Lately I've been thinking about our role here on this earth. What is the meaning of our salvation? As I was memorizing a few verses from Psalm 73, I came to the last verse, where it says, " But it is good for me to draw near to GOD, I have put my trust in the LORD, GOD... that I might declare ALL THY works.

I guess it's real simple. We are to show forth God's work in us. We are to live for HIS glory. And we are to imitate the LORD JESUS CHRIST through our actions.

Last night while getting ready for bed, my husband and I took a few hymns to sing together. And while he was still brushing his teeth, I was flipping through the hymn book, looking for a few hymns we could sing together. That's when I ran across a hymn I didn't seem to recognize... and I wasn't familiar with the melody either. But I loved the words!

It's not about us. We are to have the mind of Christ in us always... in our actions, thoughts and deeds.

I'm posting the words, not only because it's such a beautiful hymn, but I'm hoping it will encourage you as it did me.

O I want to be like Jesus,
As I walk along this pilgrim way;
O I want to live like Jesus,
Showing forth His beauty every day.
This my prayer and deepest longing -
To be pure without, within.
O I want to be like Jesus,
Cleansed from dross and free from self and sin.


O I want to talk like Jesus,
Gracious are the words from Him we hear:
Words of life and hope for sinners,
Tender healing words of love and cheer.
O the power and the value of a fitly spoken word!
O I want to talk like Jesus,
Any time or place my voice is heard.


O I want to serve like Jesus,
Willingly He came from Heaven above;
On the earth He lived for others,
Spent His life in kindly deeds of love.
I would follow where He leads me
And His bidding always do.
O I want to serve like Jesus
Till my traveling days on earth are through.


John W. Peterson



I'm again reminded of the LORD JESUS CHRIST... who came as a servant, not to to be served, but rather to serve... and in the end, gave HIS life that we may live.


We are to live for God... and to be free of self.


"And that He died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto HIM which died for them and rose again." 2 Cor. 5:15


May you be strengthened in the thought today... to live for Jesus... to talk like Jesus...and to serve like Jesus.


~Ellie


 

No comments:

Post a Comment