Friday, May 2, 2014

Thou art GOOD and doest GOOD...

IMG_0707

" Thou hast dealt WELL with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy WORD." Psalm 119: 65


This past week I "stumbled" upon a few verses in my daily Bible reading... verses that have made me think.

Do you ever wonder about God's goodness to you when you are afflicted? I'll admit it is quite hard to see what God is doing in my life when I feel afflicted in one form or another. No one likes afflictions.

But affliction is good for us, even though  it hurts. And yet the affliction is not in vain... it causes a marvelous work in us. It causes us to be more like Christ.

" For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory ."


2 Cor. 4:17 


If we are not afflicted, we naturally go astray. (Psalm 119:67). Our hearts need the discipline of the Lord, to keep us on the right path... and to please Him.

"Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." Romans 8:7-8


Yes, it is difficult to be afflicted... to feel pain. One may say God isn't loving, or good or faithful when He sends afflictions. Because why would a loving God afflict us? Yet without affliction, our lives would never learn the statues of the LORD. And we would never  desire the WORD of God to dwell richly in us. We would be most miserable!

And if God says that it is good for us to be afflicted, then it must be GOOD. (Ps. 119: 71).

And we can have peace that HE is most loving:

" I know, O LORD, that THY judgements are right, and that thou in FAITHFULNESS has afflicted me."


(Psalm 119: 75)


I may not fully understand God's dealings with me. But one thing I know. He loves me enough to discipline me in faithfulness. And what assurance to know that HE never leaves HIS own.  Even when HE disciplines and afflicts us. Even then. He cares about each of His children. So much so, that a price was paid for our redemption. He bought us with the precious blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. And that is enough to trust Him.

" THY hands have made me and fashioned me: Give me understanding that I may learn Thy commandments."


Psalm 119:73  


May you know God's goodness to you... even in affliction.  May you delight in HIS word today, trusting Him.


~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment