Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Keep thy Heart with All Diligence...

 " Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. " Ephesians 4:29

Have you ever thought about the words we speak... and what power they have...

... in encouraging 
... or discouraging 

...those who hear them?

I've always known(and been aware) of the verse above... where we are taught to,

 "... let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth..."  

But I'll be honest, I don't always think and dwell upon the verse as I ought... especially when I let myself utter words... that are not edifying. 

Recently I've been dwelling much on my need to apply the verse in my life with diligence... not just once or twice... and then forgetting about it...

... but making it a priority.

You know, I realize that if I take care of what's inside my heart... I'll end up having an easier time in uttering words that...

encourage,
edify,
build up,
praise,
and lift up.

" ... for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." Matthew 12:34

O, that the Lord will put a bridle over my tongue... and keep me from bringing destruction upon myself ... and discourage those around me.

"Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." 
Psalms 141:3

The tongue. How powerful. It can bring death... or life.

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: 
and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."
Proverbs 18:21

O Lord, be our guide... teach us... when we ought to speak... when we ought to be silent.

And help us to remember that...

"...whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." 
Colossians 3:17

May you be encouraged today to speak words of comfort, words of kindness... words that edify and bring grace to those around you.
~Ellie

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Thank you for this. I have been very negative lately and I realized I need to vocalize good things.🌻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I'm so glad the Lord is so good to help us in our walk... how He gently nudges at our hearts. As I was reading through the Word, I loved the verse where I was reminded that death or life are in the power of the tongue... that shook me up a bit... I so want to edify, build up and not bring destruction! Through His Spirit we can bring life:)...

    May your day be filled with grace...

    ReplyDelete