Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me...

" These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. " John 16:33

Several weeks ago, I happened to be reading through the book of John. It was while reading the 16th chapter, that I came across a beautiful verse that made me stop and dwell on it. 

Chapter 16, in the gospel of John, is loaded with the Lord's comforting words... it's where the Lord relates to his disciples the events that will happen after His departure from their midst. And even though the Lord Jesus tells the disciples of the future persecutions in store for them, He also comforts them. 
  • He doesn't leave them without hope....
" In the world ye shall have tribulations:
 but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." 
John 16:33
  • He tells them of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, that would come to guide them in all truth...
"Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, 
He will guide you into all truth.." (v. 13)

  • He tells them of the future joy... reminding them it wouldn't belong before they would see Him again.
"... but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, 
and your joy no man taketh from you." (v. 22)

**Isn't it beautiful. No  man can take away our hope and joy!**

  • He tells them of the Father's love for them...
" For the Father Himself loveth you..." (v.27)

So as I was reading through the chapter, I was touched with the Lord's tenderness... in taking care of the disciples. How He comforted them! 

And yet, I thought of the heaviness weighing upon the Lord Jesus himself during this time... the need to go to the cross... and being forsaken by the very disciples He was comforting. 

But when I came to verse 32, I was overwhelmed with the Father's love... for the disciples... and for the Lord Jesus...

... and for us.

 " Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me..."

What encouraging words... as we live our lives here awaiting Christ's return. We too can  be comforted through the very words written in His Holy Word.

The Lord Jesus knows what we need... He endured loneliness. He was forsaken.

Have you ever felt alone? Forsaken by all? Jesus knows. He knows exactly what you need. He will never forsake you.  


HE KNOWS JUST WHAT I NEED
 Author Unknown

My Jesus knows when I am lonely
He knows each pain; He sees each tear
He understands each lonely heartache
He understands and always cares.

Chorus:
My Jesus knows just what I need
O yes, He knows just what I need
He satisfies and ev’ry need supplies
Yes, He knows just what I need.

My Jesus knows when I am burdened
He knows how much my heart can bear
He lifts me up when I am sinking
He brings me joy beyond compare.

When other friends seem to forget me
When skies are dark, when hope seems gone
By faith I feel His arms about me,
And hear Him say, “You’re not alone.”


May you know the presence of the Lord in your life today... and be encouraged to lift your eyes towards heaven. "My help comes from the Lord, the maker of Heaven and earth."(Ps. 121:2)

2 comments:

  1. I love the part about how NO MAN CAN TAKE YOUR JOY FROM YOU! yippee!!!
    What comfort that brings!! We often give people so much power over our emotions!
    And it's right there, in God's book!!! No one will take away your joy!!!
    I so needed to read that TODAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    I'm so glad the Lord encouraged you through His Word today! And your comment encouraged me as well:)... thank you.

    I, too was so blessed when I read the verse that, " no man can take away your joy from you." It gave me so much comfort... just to rest upon His work on my behalf.... and to rejoice that one day we shall see Him face to face. What joy that will be!

    May your day be blessed with God's love for you....

    ReplyDelete