Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Follow thou ME...


" But He that judgeth me is the LORD." 1 Corinthians 4:4


Do you struggle with comparison? Do you struggle with being controlled by what people think of you? Are you critical and judgmental of others?

I'm sure we've all, in one form or another, been there... and maybe we still struggle from time to time with these issues.

One day last week I was thinking about such things. It was while trying to fall asleep during the middle of the night. For some reason I woke up... and then I kept turning and tossing and couldn't find a comfortable spot. And even though some time did pass before I eventually succumbed to sleep, I was most grateful for my time with the Lord.

I noticed that most times it's during the night God reveals some of the most profound thoughts to me... maybe it's because I'm not so distracted with the things of the day and can actually be still and hear His voice.  

" Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge." 
Psalm 19:2

While musing about my own life and desiring to be pleasing before the Lord, I was reminded how easily I get affected by people. 

You  know, people have a way of affecting us...and yet I know people are placed in our lives for our own good. But we oftentimes allow man to take precedence over our Creator... especially when we are "concerned" with the speck in their eye and fail to see the log in ours. 

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, 
but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" 
Matthew 7:3

I find it's our own attitude...  that really affects us. Not necessarily the people around us. It's how we view others...

Do we place certain people on a pedestal? Do we seek praise from man? Are our actions controlled by others to the point where we do everything to please them? Ok, maybe not everything, but do we allow the actions of others to define who we are? 

Are we too dependent on others for our well being, for our encouragement, for filling in our down time with "fun things", etc....

Or, are we judgmental in our thoughts towards others... are we always critical of their every move? Do we portray an attitude of self-righteousness?  

Is our life so tangled up in people, that we neglect our own  personal (spiritual) walk? 

And in the process...

... neglect placing the LORD first? 
... neglect being controlled by the Spirit?
... neglect the WORD to be our encouragement, to fill up our "down time"?

So I thought about these things... and found myself guilty. How easily the Lord becomes second, or third in my life... or dare I say, last!... when I'm preoccupied with others.

Is it any wonder that discontentment, self-pity, lack of joy, unthankfullness, all creep in when we find ourselves feeding upon... 

... judgmental thoughts, comparison, covetousness, pride?

All along forgetting,

... that God reigns supreme. 
... that God is the ultimate Judge. 
... that God is not a respecter of persons. 
... that God tests the hearts.

So I was most grateful for the Lord's reminder, in bringing to mind, the incident where Peter is preoccupied with someone else ... 

" Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following...
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus,
 Lord, and what shall this man do?
Jesus saith unto him, 
If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?
Follow thou me."
 John 21:20-22

3 simple words... Follow thou me.

The Lord's gentle reminder to me was enough that night ... 

I am to worry about my own personal walk. 
I am to follow Him. 

" Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the LORD come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts...
1 Corinthians 4:5

I am so grateful for the Holy Spirit... bringing the truth in my heart... convicting me of my own faults. 

Oh, Lord... put a bridle over my tongue when I judge, help me to "forget not all Thy benefits" when I compare or covet... abase me when I'm full of pride, 

... but above all, help me to follow you.

May you desire to be a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ... and allow Him to be your all in all.
~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment