Thursday, May 21, 2015

Be of good courage; IT IS I; Be NOT afraid.

" And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased." Matthew 14:32

In this morning's Bible reading I was blessed yet again when I read the marvelous and mighty acts of the Lord Jesus being performed. And yet this morning I stood a bit to meditate...

I thought about what it means to be in the presence of the One who could heal, give faith and strengthen. 

Have you ever felt the "wind being still" when in the Lord's presence? Do you find strength in His presence... in His Word... when everything around you is tumultuous?

Who can calm your soul when  "high winds" and "waves so big" make you feel utterly helpless and ready to sink?

Such thoughts crossed my mind while reading through chapter 14 of Matthew. I marveled when reading through the account of the Lord Jesus being followed by a great multitude. I thought of the people longing for healing. 

One thing the multitude knew... they knew the Lord Jesus could heal. 

The Lord's compassion  and care was evident upon all... not just a few, but the whole multitude... 5000 people! And He knew their needs...

" They need not depart; give ye them to eat. " 
Matthew 14:16
 and, 

"Bring them hither to me." 
Matthew 14:18

O, what calm and peace when in the presence of the One who takes care of our needs... physical and spiritual!

And as I read of the disciples' fear when encountering the tumultuous waters about them...  tossed about from high winds and waves... I thought again of the peace found only in the presence of the Lord.

How calming and assuring the Lord Jesus' words were,

" Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid." 
Matthew 14: 27

Peter's desire to walk on water, right along with the Lord, shows how he placed his trust and hope in the One who alone could save him from the tumultuous seas. 

And yet the minute Peter took His eyes off the Lord... fear crept in. However, the Lord never once left Peter...

... and He never leaves us!

It was so very comforting to me when I read that the Lord immediately reached forth to take Peter's hand ... AND CATCHES HIM... before He could ever sink. 

 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, 
O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" 
Matthew 14:31

How important it is for us to trust and not look away from the One who is our strength.

The wind ceased ... when they were all in the ship with the Lord Jesus.

What a beautiful reminder for me this morning... in the presence of the Lord Jesus... all waves cease!

Oh that I would desire to be in His presence. He alone controls and calms the winds that come in my life...  no harm can come upon me when I am in His presence.

And when I lack the faith needed to stand, He immediately takes hold of me... and catches me... so I would not sink. 

Isn't it marvelous...the Lord's tender care for us?

May you be encouraged to rely on the Lord Jesus to calm the winds in your life.
~Ellie 

No comments:

Post a Comment