Thursday, April 16, 2015

...Seek righteousness, Seek meekness...

"Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought His judgment; 
seek righteousness, seek meekness... " Zephaniah 2:3

Do you ever get annoyed with those around you? Do you ever feel "persecuted "... or maybe just not understood? Do you find it hard to be humble and meek even when someone is against you?  These questions arose one day in my mind when I was reading a very well known verse.

The verse relates the Lord's desire for us to love our enemies. Sure, maybe those who annoy, speak evil against us, or misuse us for their own good aren't necessarily our "enemies"... 

However, we treat them as enemies.

" But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you..." 
Matthew 5:44

As I read the verse over and over again, I was really convicted. Do I really love my enemy? It's easy to answer, "Yes." when not confronted.  But when confronted... well, it's a different matter all together. 

It seems as if that person is out to get me no matter what I do... or so I think.

And the verse doesn't stop with just loving our enemies...

... I am to also bless them,
... and do good to them,
... and pray for them

I confess the last thing I think about when confronted... while someone's hatred is directed towards me ... is to love them. And I'm not even talking about doing good to them or blessing them or... even yet, praying for them as I ought. 

I thought about the verse a long time, and confessed my inadequacies. SO much of our actions are centered on our worth. How we view ourselves... in the light of our own pride. Or in the light of what others may think of us.

So I was reminded yet again... that God seeks those who are of a contrite heart. One who is meek and lowly.

Then why the struggle to love our enemy? Why do we get annoyed with those around us?

It may be that we are after the things of the flesh...because, 

".. they that are after the things of the flesh, mind the things of the flesh. 
But they that are after the Spirit, the things of the Spirit." 
 Romans 8:5

I realize I need to ask  myself constantly, "Is the fruit of the Holy Spirit evident in my life today?" 

If my heavenly Father chose to love me...to send His only Son to die for me... when I was His enemy... 

" For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son..."
 Romans 5:10

... then, I too, am to show mercy and grace to those who cause me harm. 

A child of God  manifests to all that we have been made a new creation. 

Old things are passed away...

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature:
 old things are passed away..." 
2 Cor. 5:17

May you feel encouraged today to seek righteousness and meekness... 
~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment