Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ye that seek the LORD, look unto the ROCK whence you were hewn...

" Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; 
Fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings. " 
Isaiah 51:7

As I was reading through the 51 chapter of Isaiah this morning I suddenly read over a couple of verses I had memorized not too long ago...

It was about a year ago, or maybe even two, when I struggled with a huge bout of anxiety. It wasn't the normal anxious feeling that we all get... fears that come about and quickly go. This was much stronger. I was struggling to find peace within, from fear that  almost paralyzed me. What was I fearing? I had never experienced such anxiety...

Have you ever struggled with anxiety? Have you ever been fearful of the  future? Have the momentary struggles weighed heavily upon you that you felt you would lose control?

I remember my anxious heart weighing heavily upon me one day. My strength was weak. I was helpless. Yet in my struggle I knew my hope could only be found in my LORD. I couldn't do it alone. I needed HIS help. His power alone could deliver me. I could never have the power I needed to "get myself up" and free myself from the clutch of fear. 

There were no words that I could utter in my state of helplessness except, "Lord, please help me!"  The simple words of dependence on HIM  brought all the peace I had ever needed. A wave of calmness washed over me. And in His faithfulness, He directed me to a couple of verses in Isaiah that I took to memorizing... and repeated day in and day out.... even through the night. 

" I, even I, am He that comforteth you; 
Who art thou, that shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and the son of man which shall be made as grass;  
And forgettest the LORD thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens , and laid the foundations of the earth; 
And hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor as if he was ready to destroy? 
And where is the fury of the oppressor " 
Isaiah 51: 12,13

The fear that comes from the evil one... can debilitate us. But all we have to do is to look to our maker. HE alone comforts us. He alone delivers us from the hand of the oppressor. He alone strengthens us. 

Let us look unto the ROCK.

" The LORD is my ROCK and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my strength, 
In whom I will trust...
For who is GOD, save the LORD? Or who is a rock, save our God? 
The LORD liveth , and blessed be my ROCK, 
And let the God of my salvation be exalted." 
Psalm 18:2,31,46

With thankfulness I read through Isaiah 51 today... thankful for the Lord's mercy... that endures forever. 

" Therefore hear now this, thou afflicted... thus saith thy Lord the Lord, 
and thy God that pleadeth the cause of his people, 
Behold, I have taken out of thine hand the cup of trembling... " 
Isaiah 51:21,22

Even in times of distress, our God is faithful!

May you be encouraged to cry out to the ONE who alone can save.

~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment