Wednesday, February 24, 2016

And Jesus stood still...

"... For HIS WORD was with power." Luke 4: 31

I'm always amazed when I read through the life of the LORD JESUS, as related in the gospels, and find the same words I may have read over and over... once again renewed to me. 

This time around though, I was encouraged with a simple phrase I must have skipped over so many times,

And JESUS stood still...

For some reason when I read those words, I immediately noticed the Lord's ways... in the simple fact that HE stood still... 

In His stillness, He manifested His kindness...His compassion...His gentleness as He reached out towards those in need.

The Lord Jesus, though busy in the midst of a great multitude which followed Him... found the time,

...to STOP 
...to BE STILL... 
and 
...HEAR the cries of 2 blind men when they cried, " Have mercy on us, O Lord, Thou son of David." 

"  And Jesus stood still 
and called them, 
and said, 
"What will ye that I shall do unto you? " 
Matthew 20:32

The words of Jesus... powerful.

Words the 2 blind men hoped to hear... " What will ye that I shall do unto you? " 

The Lord stood still for them... and His words had power... for it brought hope and healing.

And then I couldn't but think how the Lord Jesus Christ is the same today... just as in the times when He healed the blind and the sick. 

The gospels relate the amazement of the people.... when they saw the result of Jesus' words in His teaching, in the healing of diseases and in the forgiveness of sins.

"... He taught them.., insomuch that they were astonished, and said, 
Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?" 
Matthew 13:54

 "...For His word was with power." 
Luke 4:32 

"What a word is this!..." 
Luke 4:36

Yes, even today, His WORD has power and authority.... to save and deliver... and forgive sins.  

He stops and inclines His ear towards us as well and hears our cries,

" Because HE hath inclined HIS ear unto me, 
therefore will I call upon HIM as long as I live." 
Psalm 116:2

What a joy to know the power of the LIVING WORD... that we too, as the blind men, can cry to the LORD GOD  for mercy and bring all our petitions and requests before the ONE who is able...

"Blessed be God, 
which hath not turned away my prayer, 
nor HIS mercy from me." 
Psalm 66:20

Precious Father, How thankful we are for the Lord Jesus, the WORD of life. Help us to treasure your Word and trust in your unfailing promises towards us. Thank you for hearing our cries for mercy and having compassion on us.

May you delight in the living WORD of the Lord Jesus... and find rest for your souls in the presence of a mighty KING.
~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment