Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Let not your good be evil spoken of...

" Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify one another." Romans 14:19

Do you ever find yourself wanting to "change" another person? Do you see yourself nitpicking at others because of your own convictions? Maybe you desire that those you are concerned with " see the importance of being in the Light"... to know what is good and right...

... or maybe... you simply want them to turn away from evil.

You know, sometimes we tend to go "overboard"...by impugning our own rules on someone else, or simply pushing others to believe as we do, or nagging them to no end. And while we mean good, sometimes our attitudes bring about strife... and not peace. 

We forget that God is at the helm of every life... He does the work of salvation.. and He brings about true repentance. We are to seek peace and pursue it.

It was while reading through the book of Romans recently, that I thought upon my need to follow after righteousness, peace and joy... and not bring about strife.

" For he that in these things serveth Christ 
is acceptable to God and approved of men." 
Romans 14:18

I was yet again reminded of my need to reflect a bit on my own life... to see how my attitude, or my words or my deeds can make another person stumble. 

Do I act and do any thing that causes another... to stumble, to be offended or to be made weak? Do I let  the good that God has done... be evil spoken of ? 

I have to admit I don't ask these questions of myself as often as I should.  Sometimes I think I am so right, that I am blinded by my own "righteousness". 

O, Lord forgive my self righteousness! Help me to know Thee with simplicity and pureness of heart... that Christ might be exalted.

Make me to be holy in all manner of conversation... and may my deeds manifest YOUR working in me. May I not grieve or make another stumble because of my proud attitude... and bring shame to your name. 

" But if thy brother be grieved... now walkest thou not charitably?" 
Romans 14:15

And remind me not be a "clanging cymbal"... but rather, may your LOVE cover over all inadequacies. 

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, 
I am become as sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal." 
1 Corinthians 13:1

May you be encouraged today to follow after righteousness, peace and joy ... in the Holy Ghost.(Romans 14:17)

~Ellie

2 comments:

  1. These posts always provide a spiritual "lift" for me, thank you so much for sharing them! God Bless YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. r.l.Van, Thank you so much for your kind comment... I thank the Lord for YOUR encouragement:).

    I often pray the posts will encourage at least one other person... for HIS glory. So thank you for letting me know how the LORD answers:).

    ReplyDelete