Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Come unto ME all ye that LABOUR...

" The servant of the LORD must not strive; but be GENTLE unto all men..."  2 Timothy 2:24 

Lately I've been thinking about what it means to be like the Lord Jesus. And for some reason I ended up thinking about gentleness. 

Gentleness. A fruit of the Spirit. A trait that's often lacking in many of us. But how do we get gentleness?

A gentle person suffers long. I suppose a gentle person has to go through the "school of suffering "... because I think you have to learn to let go of self before you can ever be gentle. Gentleness requires crucifixion of all pride.

" I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." 
Galatians 2:20

It's quite humbling not to live for yourself. The flesh seeks glorification. But in order for God to have His perfect work in us, the "me" needs to be abased. 

" He must increase, but I must decrease." 
John 3:30

Only then is the character of the LORD JESUS CHRIST in full glory. 

I thought about the 2 disciples following the LORD when John the Baptist points them to the LAMB of GOD. The Lord Jesus turns and asks them,
" What seek ye..." 
John 1:38 
They wanted to see where HE dwelt. 
And the LORD tells them, 
"Come and see." 
John 1:39

They saw where He was living and they abode with HIM that day.

I thought of the spiritual application and how the LORD desires us to seek Him, to come unto Him... to abide with Him all day.  

A gentle person walks daily with the MASTER... and learns from HIM.

" Come unto me , all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and gentle in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." 
Matthew 11:28-30  

Lord, make me a servant that's gentle. May my calmness and peace be dependent on the ONE who walks beside me.   

May you seek the LORD and desire to abide with Him all day.

~Ellie    

No comments:

Post a Comment