Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Increase our FAITH...

" So then FAITH cometh by HEARING, and HEARING by the WORD OF GOD." Romans 10:17

Lately, I've been thinking  about how faith plays a major role in our christian walk... and in our spiritual growth.  You know, we often say we want to live to honor our Lord. But I thought how little my faith is when it comes to the testings in my life...

My thoughts went to the disciples in Luke 17. It was a moment where the disciples saw their weakness and their inability to withstand offences on their own. The Lord warns them that offences will come...

" Then said HE unto the disciples, 
It is impossible but that offences will come..." 
Luke 17:1

The Lord's instruction and warning were clear, they were to take heed to themselves... to forgive those who trespass against them... over and over again.

" Take heed to yourselves: 
If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; 
And if he repent, forgive him.
And if he trespass against thee 7 times in a day, 
And 7 times in a day turn again to thee, 
Saying, I repent; 
Thou shalt forgive him." 
Luke 17:3,4

Hearing the Lord's instruction, the disciples find themselves weak and unable to do so on their own.
And thus, they ask the Lord that He would increase their faith.

I thought about what it means to have the Lord increase my faith.... because my desire is that I would indeed  be strengthened by His power to do that which brings honor and glory to Him. 

If the disciples needed their faith to be increased, I need  my faith increased that much more! 

I couldn't but think that Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of my faith (Hebrews 12:2). 
He starts. He finishes. 
What a marvelous act of His faithfulness and love towards us!

And yet, I know that in order for my faith to increase, He has to bring me to His Holy Word.... because faith comes by hearing. 

And through His WORD, the Lord Jesus makes known to us,
... our need for complete humbleness before a Holy God
... our complete dependence on His work, 
... our complete acknowledgement that we are in need of Him, because we can do nothing apart from Him. 

I was so encouraged to be reminded yet again... that in order for my faith to increase, I must be in the WORD!  

It is the WORD, revealed through the Holy Spirit, that enables us to have our faith increased. Only then can we...

trust, 
obey, 
forgive, 
repent, 
grow,
and live a life worthy of His name. 


"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, 
ye shall ask what ye will, 
and it shall be done unto you." 
John 15:7

Yes, we too can have our faith increased... when we abide in His WORD. 

Oh Father, how thankful we are for the Lord Jesus Christ. the author and finisher of our faith. Thank you that through Him we have faith to believe and to know you. How precious is your word to us. Help us to abide in your presence, to delight in your word, and to obey it. 

May you be strengthened in faith today, delighting in His WORD... giving glory to GOD.
~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment