Wednesday, February 17, 2016

For thou didst it secretly...

" ... the LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die." 2 Samuel 12:13

Do you ever wonder how our sins affect those around us, and how it grieves the Lord God? I know we sin, and I know God is merciful. And I also know He forgives...

...but I thought upon the need to have a pure heart before the Lord. All these thoughts came upon me recently while reading the account of Abraham and Abimelech. 

If you remember, Abraham told Abimelech, king of Gerar, that Sarah(his wife) was actually his sister....  Now Abimelech takes Sarah, but God comes in a dream and warns Abimelech, that Sarah was the wife of another man(Abraham).

In the account, Abimelech stands clean before God and says that he knew not that Abraham and Sarah were husband and wife, 

"... in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands I have done this."
 Genesis 20:5

If you  continue reading the account in Genesis 20... you'll find the Lord God protecting Abimelech from committing sin before the LORD. 

" ... yea, I KNOW that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; 
for I also withheld thee from sinning against me; 
therefore suffered I thee NOT to touch her." 
Genesis 20: 6

You know, God knows our heart. But if we are honest before Him, He goes before us and protects us from evil and committing sin against Him.

I couldn't but think upon David and his sin with Bathsheba. We are aware of David's consequences. 

But then I thought, why didn't the Lord God protect him as well? 

And so, I went and read the account a bit more in detail and compared both Abimelech and David's situation in 2 Samuel 12.

In reality, the 2 situations are exact opposites. Abimelech was honest in his act... while David willfully sinned. (2 Samuel 12:12)

But it was while reading the account of David that I was overwhelmed with the consequences of our own sins. 

It isn't that we sin against the Lord...as if that wouldn't be enough! 

BUT... 

We give GREAT occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme! 

Our sins don't just affect us... but it affects those around us in ways that bring shame to the gospel. And the Lord tells David, 

" Howbeit, because by this deed 
thou hast given GREAT occasion 
to the enemies of the LORD
 to blaspheme..." 
2 Samuel 12:14

And if you look at God's goodness towards David, you'll find the LORD God providing David with all that he could ever want... and much more! 

David didn't lack...

"... I annointed thee KING over Israel,
I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul,
I gave thee thy master's house,
AND
thy master's wives into thy bosom,
and gave thee the house of Israel AND of Judah;
AND IF THAT HAD BEEN TOO LITTLE,
I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things. " 
2 Samuel 12:7,8

And then we wonder why God is grieved with His people... and why He brings judgement!

But through it all... our LORD GOD... is still merciful... and still forgives!

AND David repents,

" I have sinned against the LORD." 
2 Samuel 12: 13

I, too,  find myself willfully allowing my flesh to take precedence in my actions... and my thoughts.... and despising His commandments.

How thankful for the Lord's reminder this morning... that my willful actions against a Holy God... not only grieves our LORD... but also gives GREAT occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme! 

Oh, heavenly Father, how thankful we are for your goodness towards us. We are undeserving of your unfailing love towards us. Make us to walk in righteousness and integrity of heart before your holiness. Forgive us our willful disobedience in despising your commandments.

May you seek the Lord's mercy today and  desire to live in holiness before a righteous God.
~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment