Thursday, December 29, 2016

HE goeth before them, and the sheep follow HIM; for they know HIS VOICE...

"And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him; for they know not the voice of strangers." John 10:5


Reading through the gospel of John, I was reminded yet again of the the Lord Jesus Christ as the Shepherd. 

A Shepherd who watches over His sheep. 

It is of such comfort to  know that  I have a Shepherd who watches over me.... who goes before me and protects me from what may lie ahead... who always has a watch over my life, and makes sure that I am protected from all alarms. He feeds me, He guides me. He provides for my every need. His presence is with me wherever I go! Oh the  peace in knowing that I am His...

And while I know that I have a Shepherd who watches over me, I realize that as a sheep I am to follow Him and stay clear of all that has the appearance of evil. 

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." 
1 Thessalonians 5:22

The world is full of attractions, temptations, pleasures... all of which can distract and draw us away from following the Shepherd.  We are to abstain from sin... and whatsoever looks like sin.

Lately, I've thought upon the need to "test all things"... because it is quite easy to listen to  "teachings" that may sound good and pleasing... but  is contrary to the  Word of God. 

"Cease, my son, 
to hear the instruction 
that causeth to err 
from the words of knowledge." 
Proverbs 19:27

The Sheep know the voice of the true Shepeherd... and they know not that of a stranger! 

How vital it is that we feed on the WORD OF GOD... to know the voice of truth and discern good from evil. 

" But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, 
even those who by reason of use 
have their senses exercised 
to 
discern both good and evil."  
Hebrews 5:14

Oh, the importance of following the Shepherd... 

" And turn ye not aside: 
for then should ye go after vain things, 
which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain." 
1 Samuel 12:21

It's good to be occupied with... that which is good, pure, lovely... and do away with evil from our lives. 

 "...yet I would have you wise
 unto that which is good, 
and simple 
concerning evil."
 Romans 16:9

How marvelous and worthy to be praised... is the Lord Almighty...the King... the Shepherd of our souls! 

Heavenly Father, What joy to know that your hand is over us, leading and guiding us unto truth. Thank you for your faithfulness and care of our souls. May we be ever mindful of following your commands and fleeing from all that causeth us to err. 

May you be encouraged to offer sacrifices of praise to our Heavenly Father who watches over His own. " Only fear the LORD, and serve Him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things He hath done for you." 1 Samuel 12:24

~Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment