Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Incline my HEART unto THY testimonies, and not to covetousness.

" Let your conversation (conduct) be without covetousness; and be CONTENT with such things as you have." Hebrews 13:5a

Have you ever thought what it means for the heart to be content? Or maybe I should phrase it a bit different. Have you ever known overwhelming grace... resulting in a most thankful heart? Receiving something you didn't deserve?...

This past week I thought upon such questions as I was reading through Hebrews chapter 13. When I read verse 5, I thought upon the importance of  living my life in a manner that is well pleasing to the LORD.

I am to conduct myself... in speech and action... with a thankful heart. Covetousness ought not to be evident.

You know, when I think about coveting... I'll admit that I can easily brush it off and excuse it from my life. I can easily find myself saying, "Oh, I don't have a problem with coveting. I'm thankful with the Lord's provisions. I'm "ok" with what I have materially." It's easy to say all that when things go well...

So then I thought a bit more on what it means to covet.... because God surely commands us not to covet, for it is of great sin before Him. 

Covetousness refers to the heart being  in a state of discontentment... a heart that is unhappy or unthankful... 

... and it is evident in thought, words and actions.

Can I truly say that I have a content heart? Do my deeds or conversations truly reflect a calm and gracious spirit? Do I have a thankful heart...one that's without fear or anxiety of what today/tomorrow may bring? Do I depend totally upon my Father's perfect plan/will for me... even when I lack? 

Because with the exhortation... to be content with such things as we have... also comes a promise,

" I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." 
Hebrews 13:5b

It was only when I read further in Hebrews, that I came to understand a bit more of what makes a heart content.

" For it is a good thing that the heart be established with GRACE..." 
Hebrews 13:9

It is knowing that grace has been poured forth on us... for we've been given the forgiveness of sins...when we deserved nothing but wrath.

Therefore, a content heart is based on grace... it covets not..., knowing that God gave, out of His  fullness... grace upon grace, 

... filling us with all that we may ever need.... His Son, Jesus Christ... and life eternal.

" And of His fulness have all we received, and grace for grace." 
John 1:16

AND... it is not about wordly things, or things that are not lasting... but heavenly! Our hearts should be focused on the things above and not on the things here below (or earthly).

A heart that is content... is also thankful heart... resulting in a conduct that is well pleasing to the LORD. The heart rejoices when it is established with grace...

... continually offering the sacrifice of praise to God and giving thanks to His name. (Hebrews 13:15)

Lord, help me to put aside all manner of covetousness from my life, running after vain things and displeasing you... but rather, help me to be content with such things as you've given me... for indeed, I lack no good thing.

" Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness. " 
Psalm 119:36

May your heart be established with the Father's grace... seeking to be content with such things as you have, boldly declaring; " The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear..."

~Ellie 

No comments:

Post a Comment